Death - Reporting to SJCERA

To report a retiree death, please call SJCERA and speak with a retiree counselor. The counselor will ask for your name, and/or the estate executor's name, the date of death, and the Social Security Number of the deceased. After SJCERA has this information, we will send a letter describing the documents that are required to process the survivor benefit.

Generally, you will need to submit:

  • An original death certificate
  • A copy of a marriage or domestic partner certificate (if the retiree was married or in a state registered domestic partnership)
  • A copy of the spouse or domestic partner's birth certificate
  • A copy of the spouse or domestic partner's Social Security card
  • A copy of the will or trust
  • Executor's Authorization to Administer Estate
  • Executors must also list the estate's Tax Identification Number